Thursday, June 17, 2010

Genius International Traveler, I Am

Phuket Island, Thailand

So I'm walking around Phuket Town this afternoon, running a few errands, when I notice that the locals are looking at me in a different register.

Usually, they ignore me -- farangs are nothing new here -- or they take one curious look and go on their bored way. But, today, the glances were furtive, some noses were wrinkled, and I saw a quick finger pointing at me.

The behavior stumped me. I was wearing my ordinary uniform of tan dress pants, a button-down dress shirt, tan socks and sandals. A dork uniform, no doubt, but nothing about it should have registered with the Thais.

I walked into my apartment building, and, as I pressed the elevator button, I noticed the cloth of the shirt sleeve.

It was white with red stripes.

I was wearing a red shirt.

In Thailand.

At a time when wearing a red shirt has a specific and incendiary political meaning.

Smart, Paul, real smart.

I changed into a blue shirt, which was just as dorky but wouldn't get me lynched or arrested.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"At a time when wearing a red shirt has a specific and incendiary political meaning."

Damn, I didn't know Thailand was full up with Crips.

4:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should be proud of wearing a red shirt, you moron

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your mistake was socks and sandals. you should have been arrested by the fashion police.

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home