Monday, June 07, 2010

Funny Things Happen When You Travel

LAX

Twenty minutes ago, I'm standing on the sidewalk between the Tom Bradley International Terminal and Terminal 4 when the guy walks up.

He's a pudgy-turning-fat early 30s white guy in a red hoodie. He catches my eye and goes into his spiel, talkingthisfastyesthisfast.

The Guy: "You look like someone who travels a lot, and I really need your help, because I have a ticket for the nine o'clock AirTran flight back to Pittsburgh -- I'm a chemical engineer in town to interview at a company called DuPont -- and I got the job, by the way -- but the AirTran flight was cancelled, and AirTran isn't affiliated with any other airlines, and I went to the Marriott where I stayed before, while I was being interviewed for the job with the company called DuPont, and they won't let me stay another night, and there's no other flights back to Pittsburgh tonight -- and I'm a Panther, because that's where I earned my engineering degree --and there's no place to stay, and I'm Jewish, by the way, but I've called various temples and synagogues and there's nothing they can do, so I was wondering if you could help a good Jew and --"

Me: "I already fell for this con once."

The Guy: "Asshole." Walks away.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I fell for it once, as well, and also in an airport. Gave the veryfasttalkingwoman $12 and my business card so she could "get out of the parking garage after losing her wallet" and eventually repay me. She never repaid (obviously) but I'm sure she enjoyed the meth.

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you though?

9:49 AM  
Blogger PKL said...

I do not question The Guy's powers of observation.

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Joe said...

I once had a guy ask me for cab fare, but it was his lucky day, as I was headed in just that direction. He ended up the bigger man, not wanting to "trouble" me and all.

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home