Tuesday, April 06, 2010

"Freedom Means That Things Aren't Perfect"

Hong Kong

From a New York Times interview with Kentucky senate candidate Rand Paul. For fun, I'm adding how I would have answered the questions.

But in light of your distrust of the federal government, where are you on an issue like seat belts? Federal legislation requiring people to wear seat belts could obviously save lives.

I think the federal government shouldn’t be involved. I don’t want to live in a nanny state where people are telling me where I can go and what I can do.


[PKL: People can review the data on seat belts and make their own decisions. If people think that using a seat belt will prolong their lives (and that's something they want to do), most people will choose to use it. But the government should not be forcing auto manufacturers to purchase and install a component and then fine people for not using that component.]

You shouldn’t trivialize issues of health and safety by calling them nanny issues.

The question is, do you want to live in a nanny state where the government tells you what you can eat, where you can smoke, where you can live, what you can do, or would you rather have some freedom, and freedom means that things aren’t perfect?


[PKL: Here here. And, lady, since when is it OK for a Times interviewer to sharply inject her own opinion? Issues of health and safety should be trivialized because health and safety are the current excuses that statists use to increase their power at the expense of individuals' autonomy. They are also the excuses that governments use to force you to purchase products or services you don't want. I would rather live in a state of unsafe freedom than bubblewrapped slavery.]

2 Comments:

Blogger Michael P. Manti said...

I'm glad the NYT editors left the interviewer's scolding, incredulity, and perplexity in:

What about five minutes? You haven’t even served in government for five minutes.

I don’t think it’s necessarily a prerequisite. I’ve been active in politics for a group called Kentucky Taxpayers United for 15 to 20 years.

Heh. The notion of the citizen statesman or stateswoman obviously escapes her.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Tom Salemi said...

I might write in his name in Mass. I too am against tax increases, the Iraq War and the Dept. of Education (actually, I'm just not sure what the last one does.)

He handled those terrible questions very well.

1:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home