Sunday, September 06, 2009

One Reason For Airport Hotels


Panama City, Panama

LAX does not have an airport hotel. Yes, there are hotels around the airport, but there is no hotel within, or attached to, the airport. It´s one more reason LAX is an embarrassment.

Most of the uses of an airport hotel are obvious. It´s a place to crash or freshen up during flight delays or during long layovers or if you land at an awkward hour.

But, as I prepared to fly to Panama, I realized that an airport hotel could also be useful before a departure.

Due to various commitments and a stab of insomnia, I had little sleep the two nights before the flight. It was eleven p.m. The plane to Panama left at 6:45 a.m., meaning I had to be at the airport by about 5:00 a.m. I was exhausted but didn´t want to take the risk that I would doze off and miss the flight.

In a city with a decent airport hotel -- that is, in Seoul or Hong Kong or, hell, Gudalajara -- I could have driven to the airport hotel and slept for a few hours, safe in the knowledge that the staff would wake me up in time to embark.

No can do in the entertainment capital of the world.


Pictured: A room in the Incheon Airport Transit Hotel.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger grumpypuppet said...

We don't care.
We want more blogs about Sarah Palin so we can debate how stupid she is.

8:07 AM  
Blogger moi said...

Apologies for being off-topic, but I couldn't think of where else to post this. I wanted to see if you had in the past discussed popular travel guides like Lonely Planet and Rough Guide, and noticed the absence of a tag cloud or search box, features that other readers may find useful, too. Secondly - and this probably has to do with my Third World location - the number of entries on the main page of Knife Tricks is so large that the page takes time to load and scrolling is fitful. Have mercy on those bereft of bandwidth.

5:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I care!
Beating up on LAX is almost as much fun as beating up on Palin.
And about as challenging... :)

5:51 AM  
Blogger PKL said...

Moi,

1. You should see a search box in the upper left-hand corner of the frame. If you don't see it, I don't have the technical knowledge to explain why.

2. Thanks for the notice re: bandwidth. Let me see what I can do.

3. I have not written a lot about guidebooks. My advice is to avoid the contrarian attitude that Lonely Planet is automatically bad because it's the big, successful, sellout company. For some parts of the world, their guides are the best. In Southeast Asia, it's not a contest; LP blows everyone away.

4. These posts touch upon guidebooks:

The Lonely Planet Story

Do Travel Writers Go To Hell?

The Lonely Planet Scandal

PKL

8:44 AM  
Blogger moi said...

Thank you for your reply. How embarrassing - NOW I see the search box! (I never even looked at the black bar at the top. What can I say, I'm not as observant with regard to monitors as I am in three-dimensional space).

If you want to reduce the number of posts on the main page, go to your blog's dashboard, click on the "settings" tab, and then "formatting".

9:33 AM  
Blogger PKL said...

I reduced the number of posts on the main page to 25.

And I'll post a review of the Moon guide to Panama in a few days.

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home