Friday, November 21, 2008

Why One Man Left


Sherman Oaks, California

Jack Deckard blogs about why he lives the expat life in Cambodia:

I believe I am not alone amongst ex-pats in my feelings that I don’t belong in the country of my birth. It is more than that: it is a complete rejection of the values and the society in general. I walk around and see people with their “normal” lives and cannot imagine how I could ever be happy like that; making money, being highly taxed, and a part of all the societal dysfunction and hatred. I felt so far removed from the masses.


Pictured: The waterfront in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.


Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good riddance. Sounds like a wanker.

9:38 PM  
Blogger moi said...

"Wanker" or not, Deckard is enjoying a privilege available only to white citizens of rich countries. It would be a darn sight less romantic if an average Asian wrote about rejecting her own country and its values and corruption (parallel tax system) to go live a less squalid life in some rich country.

8:47 PM  
Blogger moi said...

Oh, by the way, what is the source of that picture of the waterfront? Just curious.

8:49 PM  
Blogger PKL said...

Moi,

Many of V.S. Naipaul's works are on that topic. See, e.g., In A Free State.

6:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home